Passport Renewals

Renewal of Passport
Applicants are adviced to obtain new passports valid for 10 Years. No passports shall be renewed after the five year expiry period.

Other Fee chargeable
Endorsement of existing valid passport CHF. 30.00

Payment Information:
Please note that the Mission does not accept cash payment for services rendered
Do not put money in an envelope
The Mission will not be responsible for any money lost in envelopes.

UBS A/C IBAN CH74 0027 9279 C810 6822 0
Permanent Mission of the Republic of Kenya
to the United Nations Office in Geneva
1-3, Avenue de la Paix (1st Floor)
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel.: +41 (0)22 906 40 50/73
Fax: +41 (0)22 731 29 05
Telex: 412 656 kmgv ch

Five year Passports no longer renewed (March 2009) please note that five-year passports are no longer being renewed. Passports that expire after five years need to be replaced with a new ten-year passport.
Kenyan passports Requirements

Kenyan citizens wishing to apply for a passport, travel document or emergency certificate can do so at the nearest Kenyan Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. From 1 January 2007, new passports are issued with a validity of 10 years, the renewal fee being included in the initial payment. Kenyans in the Diaspora who travel frequently are advised to apply for 48-page or 64-page passports (although these series are out of stock till further notice).
In the framework of the fight against child trafficking, the International Civil Aviation Authority Organization (ICAO) recommends that all travellers carry their own passport. As a result, the Kenyan authorities no longer endorse minor children in their parents’ passports, but require that children be issued with their own passport. All parents currently holding valid passports with endorsements are strongly advised to obtain separate passports for their children.

• Copy of current passport (bio-data page + description page, and any other relevant pages, e.g. previous passports held or amendment).
• Duly completed and signed application form 9.
• 2 passport-size photos (for photograph guidelines: see link in “Citizenship & Passport application” section of the website; ensure that the face is not too dark, and that the ears are visible).
• Passport application fee.

Some tips for completing the application form:
Form 9: In the ‘full names’ boxes on the cover page and on top of page 2.,write your name as it appears in your passport, and with your surname at the end. In section (1), write your Switzerland address under ‘residential address ‘and write “same as below” under ‘postal address’. In section (4), write «travel”. Section (6) is not applicable to Kenyans residing abroad. If possible, section (7) should be completed by another Kenyan who lives in Switzerland (including the spouse). In section (8) (e), write your Switzerland address & your Kenyan ID number.

If passport was issued in Mombasa:
Copy (both sides) of birth certificate used to issue passport (the stamp with the passport file number has to be visible)

If passport is lost or stolen:
• Copy (both sides) of birth certificate used to issue passport (for passports issued in Mombasa:
• the stamp with the passport file number has to be visible);
• Copy (both sides) of Kenyan ID card;
• Police statement (with English translation);
• Sworn affidavit from lawyer or public notary (in English or translated);
• Covering letter (with full contact details) explaining circumstances of loss;
• If no copy of lost/stolen passport is available, applicant must mention full names, date and place of issue, passport number and immigration file number in letter.

If passport is mutilated:
Covering letter (with full contact details) explaining circumstances of mutilation.
Application for Child who has never issued with passport before or who was previously endorsed in parent’s passport:
Copy of both parents’ passports (incl. endorsement page when applicable);
Child’s original birth certificate (if issued in Switzerland both the certificate and its translation into English to be legalized by the Swiss authorities);
Copy (both sides) of both parents’ birth certificates;
Copy of parents’ marriage certificate.

Quality of Photograph
The photographs must be:
Not more than 6-months old, 35–40 mm in width, close up of your head and top of your shoulders so that your face takes up 70–80% of the photograph in sharp focus and clear of high quality with no ink marks or creases
Acceptable photos are those in which you look directly at the camera, show your skin tones naturally, have appropriate brightness and contrast and are printed on high quality paper,.
Style and lighting
Be colour neutral show your eyes open and clearly visible—no hair across your eyes show you facing square on to the camera, not looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or tilted, and showing both edges of your face clearly be taken with a plain
Light – coloured background be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflections on your face and no red eye

Glasses and head covers
If you wear glasses: the photograph must show your eyes clearly with no flash reflection of the glasses, and no tinted lenses (if possible, avoid heavy frames. Wear lighter framed glasses if you have them) make sure that the frames do not cover any part of your eyes.
Head coverings: are not permitted except for religious reasons, but your facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown.
Expression and frame: show you alone (no chair backs, toys or other people visible), looking at the camera with a neutral expression and your mouth closed.

Change of Name
Married women, especially those married to a non-Kenyan, should indicate their maiden names of the previous passport, and also include the marriage certificate. Those married to fellow Kenyans should include the particulars of the husband, i.e. his R-number and passport number, to enable the authorities to trace and amalgamate the files.
Women in second marriages should submit a divorce certificate or death certificate to nullify the previous marriage(s).
Kenyans wishing to change names through deed poll are to contact the relevant Swiss authorities, and also do it in Kenya through the Kenya Gazette. Affidavits will not be accepted.